1. Place sliced turmeric, white wine, water and caster sugar in a large saucepan.
2. Add cinnamon sticks and the vanilla pod. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a gentle simmer.
3. Add in the green cardamom pods, lemon and orange juice. Stir over a low heat and bring a gentle simmer.
4. Peel pears and remove hard core from base. Place pears in poaching liquid. Pour in the Champagne and add the dried berries.
5. Cover with a circle of baking paper and cover with a lid. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 25/30 minutes, turning occasionally, until pears are very tender.
6. Serve hot.
Serves 6-8 people.