This is a lovely recipe and these are just perfect for a Valentines Day treat. The combination of bicarbonate of soda, white vinegar and buttermilk really enhance the red colour.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-cupcake tin with paper cases.
2. Beat butter/margarine and sugar in a bowl until light in colour.
3. Add the flour, eggs, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, water and red colouring. Beat until mixture resembles a thick batter.
4. Finally add the baking powder, white wine vinegar and bicarbonate of soda
5. Divide the mixture between the cases. Bake for 20 minutes until risen and springs back when gently touched. Depending on your oven you may need to leave them for 25 minutes
6. Cool on a wire tray.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Make buttercream by beating the butter, icing sugar, cream cheeses and vanilla essence together until smooth and creamy.
2. Pipe or swirl icing onto each cupcake. We used our gorgeous new Russian nozzles for this photo